Thursday 24 June 2010

May 2010

Excluding my weekend with the stars of the athletic world (check out my feature blog!) it must be said this month has been a quiet one for me!

At the start of the month I managed to strain the ligaments in my ankle whilst long jump training. This was appalling timing as it was the week of the workshop and next month I have the main three weeks of competition of the season so I couldn’t afford any time off training. So this meant adapting training so it contains less impact work but so I can still train through and be close to competition fitness by June – a challenge! This has meant going to the physio three times a week for treatment and after much negotiating we agreed that he would maintain the injury through the comps if I promise to rest for a week after they are over. So I have learnt the new skill of strapping my ankle and am now a lot poorer after buying lots and lots of strapping!!

This month we started doing a couple of sessions on Power Plates – which are gym machines with basically a plate that you stand on (or sit or whatever!) that vibrates. The theory is that it greatly increases the muscle contraction rate so making the exercise you carry out more effective. At the first session we all went thinking it would be a laugh and a fun session but when the muscles were burning and we were shaking we realised we had been greatly mistaken!! We have now fallen in love with them and go every other week. The great thing is they also have a massage function!!


The weather you will be all glad to hear has not been as it normally is!! In fact as I’m writing this I’m sat inside watching the rain pouring down and the thunder is rumbling! Yes rain in Malta at the end of May! It’s highly unfair when I hear in England it has been nice and sunny! This has slowed the sun tan development for sure! However, when the sun is out I have adopted the habit of studying and sunbathing at the same time on the roof!!