Monday 1 October 2012

August 2012



All I can say is thank goodness for the Olympics!!! This operation has just highlighted the point that I am really not good at sitting still –especially with my feet up! I really don’t know how I would have stayed sane during the last few weeks without the Olympics!! A very well timed operation. I must say thanks to all my friends and neighbours who came to visit me and let me go and sit on their sofa for a change of scene! Especially as both my parents were away after my op. As I had both ankles done I was given some crutches but I was very slow on them and couldn’t go very far. So when my Mum took me out I had to hire wheel chairs and motorised scooters. I must admit it was fun whizzing round town although it took a while for me to get good at steering: though by the end I was a pro!

I saw the surgeon a week after the operation and he was very pleased with how the operation went. He did less than he had expected to do and said I’ll be back to my normal self very soon. He reckons I’ll be back into full training by mid-October as long as I do all the rehab. I flew back to Malta with my Mum. Going through the airport I had a wheel chair too which turned out to be really handy as it meant I could skip all the queues which happened to be very big!! Although my chair didn’t have working breaks so at one point I was freewheeling down the ramp into the plane until the guy noticed and looked at me as I was calling him.

Since being back I have been working very hard with my physios on my rehab programme. I have just been doing exercises to get the range of movement back and to start to build up some strength. They are very repetitive and boring but they have to be done so I have been really good at not complaining and just getting on with it. I have been doing up to 4 hours a day. The next step will be walking in the sand. My Dad also flew out for the rest of the month. It was great to have my parents around to help me get around – especially as I haven’t been able to drive the car yet. They did a very good job I must say! It has been very frustrating though as I expected to be more mobile on my return so I had made lots of plans with friends that had to be cancelled as I’m not allowed to go anywhere with uneven ground or stand up for long periods. So I have been restricted to swimming at the waterpolo club with my parents and BBQs. I managed to do 4 BBQs in a row – I was sure I was going to wake up looking like a sausage!!