Monday 1 October 2012

September 2012

This month hasn’t been a very exciting one to be honest. It has been full of rehab and not much else! My rehab is progressing as expected (even if slower than I want it to!). I am still doing the sets of exercises I was doing last month but increased the number. I am now doing 5 minutes of work on the bike too every other day. I have also started some work in the sand. When I say work in the sand I mean slow walking – I started with 5 minutes at the start of the month and now I have reached 10 minutes. The last few days of the month I stepped it up to doing 2 minutes of “Nanna Jogging” in the middle of the walk, keeping the total time to 10 minutes. “Nanna Jogging” is very, very slow jogging in which if I was racing a nanna she would win!!! This was how my physio described at what speed I was allowed to go at. The worst part about the sand work is I have to drive up to the other end of the island and back every day which is about a 1hr30min round trip – that’s without school traffic! My car is just eating through the petrol – I always seem to be filling up at the moment! Plus, I can’t stay at the beach and swim etc as that would be too much work in the sand. So my ankles are definitely heading in the right direction but it’s a slow process that needs yet even more patience. It’s very frustrating especially when I see my training group running round – but they are a great support to me.

Preseason training has begun but as you can imagine I am very limited in what I can do as I can’t do any lower body work. I am doing lots of circuits and gym work to focus on building up my upper body. I am also back in the pool 3 times a week trying to build up some CV fitness. I lost a lot with all the time off with my ankles so we have taken things back down to the basics. It isn’t the most exciting training but it has to be done and I’m happy just to be back doing something!

My coach and a couple of members of my training group have been working hard to start organising sports days for the local communities. We did one this month where we closed the main road and had a variety of different activities for both adults and children. I’m happy to say it was a success and we are looking forward to doing more. My training group ran the day with a few experts where needed i.e. for the baseball!

We had some freak storms this month too with really heavy rain. Storms were forecast but no-one expected them to be as severe as they were. It caused a lot of damage to buildings and cars, many cars were washed away and deposited in very strange and awkward places! The track was totally submerged up to the height of the steeple chase barriers and the high jump mats washed to the opposite side. It has been closed most of the month to restore it to how it should be and clean it of all the mud that was left behind. So the training we have been doing has been at a different track at the other end of the island (the opposite end to the beach!) which has added to my fuel consumption!