Friday 4 January 2013

November 2012






I’m very happy to report that the next chapter of my ankle rehab has begun! I have now started running at last!!! Only in straight lines and not very fast but it’s running!! It felt soo funny the first session back – like I had almost forgotten how to run! But just in case I needed reminding why I had gone through with the whole operation thing (which I didn’t really) it reminded me how good it felt and how much I have missed it!! Now the trick is not to rush things and listen to my ankles. I have been running 4 times a week. There have been some days when my ankles haven’t been so good so I have had to take a couple of days off and went back into the pool. I have been in even closer contact with my physio – emailing him every morning with a report from the day before and on certain days, morning, afternoon and evening text message updates. I now feel that things really are progressing in the right direction. The aim now is to have me back into full training shape for the start of January.
University has actually been much busier than I expected. This month we have had at least one field trip per week. Some have been very interesting, and others not so much! But they do provide a means of seeing parts of the island that I would never normally see. We went on one to Popeye’s Village (yes – the set where they filmed the original Popeye film!) with a group of Italian geographers. They are doing current research about the movement of a particular rock body. This was very interesting; in fact I was so interested they have invited me to go back with them the next time they come to take measurements. I’m looking forward to it already and to see what they have managed to establish since.
The last week I have been sick with a chest infection which slowed me down a bit and meant I had to take a break off training. Perhaps it’s a blessing in disguise as it gives my ankles a little rest.