Monday 18 March 2013

December 2012

This month I was given the go ahead to increase my training another step! Still only straight lines but now quicker and also much more. I’m now on the track 4 times a week. I was also granted permission to start some weights again. It has been over 14 months since I last did some decent weights. Of course I have had to start from basics and light but I have already improved a lot over these few weeks. After the first squat session back I couldn’t walk properly for 3 days due to my sore muscles. Walking up and down the stairs and getting up and down from the sofa was very interesting. Though it did provide my friends with some entertainment!
University has been very busy again: writing up all the assignments from the field trips – the down side to them! But it’s a great way of getting to see the island. The majority of our assignments are group work so it takes a little extra time and co-ordination to get organised to meet up etc.

I headed back to England for Christmas and New Year. I had a lovely time: my friend from the Ukraine came over to stay with us for Christmas. I hadn’t seen her for over 10 years – so we had A LOT of catching up to do!! We did all the traditional things for them so they could experience a “proper English Christmas”. We had a fantastic time!! Once they had left it was down to the usual routine of seeing all my various support team back in England and I started studying for my exams too as they were very close to the start of term. It was good to be back and spend some time with family and friends as it had been a while since I had been able to.

The best Christmas present was going to see the surgeon for my post operation check-up and being given the all clear to start back into full training. I will still feel a bit of pain every now and again but it’s nothing to worry about and he also said that my ankles will continue to improve over the next 6 months so that’s good. Bring on the 400m training!!