Monday 16 April 2012

November 2011



This month has been a hard one to say the least. I made the HUGE decision to change coach: I can honestly say it’s the hardest decision I have ever had to make. I felt I had to move on to help me progress my career to where I want it to be. This was particularly hard as I have known my old coach for 10 years and after all it was because of him I moved to Malta in the first place. It was also hard because I was very close to the people in the group and I was afraid of losing their friendships. I was very lucky to have lots of friends, family and mentor around me to help me through this hard time. I’m now training with another local coach called Mario. I have now been working with him for 3 weeks and I am much happier. I have a support team in place that is working together well to help provide me with the best training and support possible. So although, it is still a bit hard right now at times I am sure it is definitely the right decision. I’m greatly looking forward to starting the new chapter in my athletics and hopefully reaching new, higher levels.

Unfortunately I managed to pick up ankle problems at the end of last month so my training has been disrupted further. But with my new strengthened support team in place I am working my way through an intense rehab programme. I am doing a lot of work running in the swimming pool to keep up my fitness. I actually really enjoy these sessions however, I must say sometimes the pool is very cold when they decide not to heat it and the wind doesn’t help! This means I’m back at the physio again everyday getting my dose of brotherly teasing.

Malta had its census this month too which was interesting for me as it is part of the Geography syllabus. We had extra feature lectures with the organisers from the Government and a visiting lecturer from England. I have now settled well into uni but as I expected I’m now extremely busy and don’t have much time to relax.